Friday, April 19, 2019

Positively Beautiful Negative Spaces With Stencils!


I'm up on the CAS-ual Fridays Blog today and sharing with you a technique I used during the new release with Ken Oliver Color Bursts and some of the new stencils available in the shop!


My favorite stencil at the present time seems to be the Starlequin stencil... especially with this technique... I think it's all of the detail but it still has wide open spaces to give the colors lots of room to blend.  This is the watercolor paper I used.  I can't say if it's my favorite, but it worked well, and I got it on sale!  I cut my watercolor panels ahead of time and had two ready to go!  Have a little spray bottle of water ready too.


You'll want to protect your surface because this is messy... or maybe you don't... lol!  I'm not the boss of you!  I layed my stencil over one of the panels and sprinkled some Chartreuse and Lime Color Burst powders over the top in a random pattern.  It seems some of my bottles come out heavy and some not so much, but it's better to start out light and you can always add more!


I prayed on some water... you may want to tape down your stencil, but I didn't.  I don't mind if a little sneaks underneath... To me it adds to the beauty!  I sprayed a good amount of water on mine... a little at a time and just watch the beautiful colors do what they do.. mixing and swirling.  When you think it's enough, just lift off the stencil..


You'll want to be careful that all of that extra color doesn't slip off the top!  Move your first panel aside and put the fresh one in place.  It's ok if it takes you a longer than you plan... the oven dings... you have to chase after the dogs or the kids... because you can always spritz it with more water before you flip it over and smoosh it on top of your fresh panel!


I make sure to press down on mine..yeah.. my hands are a mess when I'm done...but I don't care!


And when you lift that one up, you have two beautiful panels to work with!  The hardest part is deciding which one to use!  I closed my eyes and picked because I love them both!


I cut the Bubble Box die out of some water color paper and used a bit of the Chartreuse powder to watercolor it.  I'm impatient so I used a heat gun to dry this piece so I could stamp it with that inspirational sentiment from the Dream Then Do stamp set (LOVE that set!)  I popped it up and splattered a bit of shimmery watercolor over the top.

.
I cut some leaves using the Garden Fri-Dies from green cardstock and cut some flowers from some yellow Sparkling Sheets using the 4 Petals Fri-Dies.


Isn't that background yummy??  Well, I love it anyway.


And that's me for today!  Hope you'll give this a try!  This is just one of the many mediums you can use with these beautiful stencils and right now it's one of my faves.  I just love the unexpected results each time!

I'm playing along with a couple challenges today!  There's a fun new inspiration over at Cupcake Inspirations.  It's all about Inspiration Quotes.  I used an inspirational quote and I loved the pretty green and yellow color scheme so much I used that too.


And over at Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge is about Beautiful Blooms... and I added lots of flowers here for that.


Thanks so much for visiting today and if you saw something today you must have from the CAS-ual Fridays shop, I have this for you:




7 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This is sooooooooo gorgeous! LOVING that background, the flowers and the sentiment!!!!

Karen Letchworth said...

I really do need to come visit you, and to learn from you. I own all the stuff...LOL...but I'm always afraid to use it all. You inspire me, girl. Love this. I really need to use my stencils,Ken Oliver Color Bursts, and SO much more. Thanks for the push I need. By the way, don't forget to also link it up at Word Art Wednesday. Our sponsor right now is Stamp Simply Clear Stamps, and next week it's The Stamps of Life...always an awesome prize up for grabs. I'd love to have you play along.
Have a blessed week,
Karen

Karen Letchworth said...

P.S. I just became your newest blog follower. if you're not already following me, I'd be THRILLED to have you follow mine as well. (I can't believe I wasn't already following you as much as I stop by here..LOL)
Hugs,
Karen
www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

Maura said...

Love how you did your background, it is gorgeous!! Great card! Thanks for sharing your beautiful make with us this week at SImon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, Maura

Indy's Designs said...

Love your amazing background! Thanks for sharing your talents with us at Cupcake Inspirations!
Hugs,
Debbie

Scrapper69 said...

So pretty and I love how you showed us how to make that beautiful background!

Theresa

janwolf said...

Gorgeous - what is the name of the stencil you used? Thank you!