Monday, April 4, 2016

Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge #154

 
Welcome to this week's Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge and another wonderful sketch by Michelle!  This weekend my friend Yvonne came over.  It's been an incredibly stressful couple weeks at work and yesterday was just what I needed to unwind a bit.  I mean I've been rushing to get things done and it was nice to sit and chat with a friend and she was oh so gracious to show me some great new techniques she recently learned at a stamp show.
 
I must tell you that she's the one who has left me her Ken Oliver Color Burst powders for ... probably a couple months now.  She's been over a couple times and keeps leaving them with me.  Yesterday she showed me a new technique which made me realize... I need to get some for myself.
 

I have to admit, I've been frustrated with them because I have so little control over them and it's been hard to figure out what the right amount of powder is... well, that is not an issue any more.  She showed me how you can actually watercolor with them and brush right onto a stamp, spritz and them stamp and what a beautiful watercolor effect you get.  I tried first on the background piece and I think I used too much water (she says it works best with a waterbrush) so it was blotchy... so I tried a second time and loved the look.. although I didn't stamp it completely so I added a little extra with a brush  and then I decided to add some leaves as well.  Then I used a lot of water and very little color to add the light touches of watercolor around... you know how I am about white spaces...lol!  Very happy with how it came out.  Of course... couldn't just throw away my botched attempt so I added more ... lots more.. color to it and ended up with this gorgeous background.. with a little help from my Heidi Swapp gold color shine... I think next time I'll just buy a barrel of that stuff.
 
Used my CDD dies from Pocket Pieces Hello for the "Hello" and the scallop...  a little Paper Sweeties crinkly seam binding in purple and a few of their gold sequins... some purple bling from CTMH, leftover leaves from a previous project, and done!
 
So thanks, Yvonne for making me love the Color Bursts more and thanks for leaving them with me once again!...lol... 

 
Now get on over to Atlantic Hearts and make this the day you decide to join the fun!


4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

So gorgeous! LOVING the colors!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lori said...

This is wonderful! I have some of those watercolor powders, too. I've played a little bit, but need to get them back out and work with them a little bit. So nice to have fun creating with a friend!

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Beautiful card Lisa, I looked at this before on Facebook, but didn't realize it was the AHSC...like the way you put the full tag showing, I wasn't favoring a half tag but when all the DT inspirations came out they looked good. But favoring the full tag.

Melanie R said...

This is beautiful! The colors are beautiful and the embossed background panel is ideal. (I'm still experimenting with watercolor crystals and powders.)