Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Cas-ual Fridays and A Copic Marker Background


I'm up on the Cas-ual Fridays Blog today I'm sharing with you a fun way to create a background using your Copic markers (or any other alcohol markers) and some blending solution (or alcohol).  These are the cards I created using two backgrounds I made this way.


I started with a white panel... I made two of these... one with regular white cardstock and one with 100 Lb paper that I use when I stamp and color with my Copics.  Both worked just as well.  I basically chose the colors I wanted that I thought might be interesting together and laid them out in the pattern I wanted.  My first strokes down the paper were with the wide flat end of the marker (you know ... the one that is usually only there for filling...lol!).  I quickly moved down the paper and swiped across.  Then I started at the top again and went through it all again.  I probably went over it about 4 times, and the last couple I switched to the brush end and made smaller swipes and filled in blank areas... I also made sure to put some unexpected strokes... a little purple in the blue.. a little blue in the green and finally ended up with this:


Next I poured a little bit of Copic Blending Solution into the cap... 80% alcohol works great for this technique, but I couldn't find my large bottle of alcohol so I decided to use the Blending Solution.  I dipped a paint brush (no water please) into the solution and then splattered it onto the panel that I colored.  If you want big blobs then add more alcohol... smaller splatters use less.  This is even less controllable than splattering water over distress oxides so be willing to let the liquid do what it does .. which is push the color away and you end up with something like this:


Pretty right?  I made two because I didn't think I was happy with the first and wanted to try it with the different paper, but once I was done, I decided I loved both panels and made two cards instead of one!


I started with this one... I used the full panel in the way back... it was the center of the panel that I was not happy with so this was the perfect use for this one.  I used the Bubble Box Fri-Dies and cut the larger one in plain white cardstock and the next size I cut from the second panel.


Before I layered everything, I stamped that pretty border design from the Bold Wishes Stamp Set onto the smaller Bubble Box using Versamark and heat embossed them in gold.  Then I stamped the Wish Big sentiment from the same set in a purple ink, fussy cut it and popped it up onto the inked panel.


I used the balloon dies from the Bunny Fri-Dies to cut out three balloons from some Copic friendly paper and then used some of the same markers that I used for the background to color them in.  I love that these colors don't completely blend.. I think it makes for a fun contrast... I attached some twine with popup tape and added the balloons to the card.


Finally I just added a couple sequins in similar colors to the rest of the card and done!  I thought I was done... but then I was looking at the piece that was left from cutting out the small inked Bubble Box layer and decided it would make a cool shaker frame:


So I made one!


First, I laid the window piece over the white layer so I could line up and stamp my sentiment from the Dream Then Do Stamp Set in the center.  Next I adhered a piece of clear cardstock to the inside of the window panel and then added popup tape around the outside edges.  I added some sequins ... enough to create a pretty sequin filled shaker, but not so much that the sentiment would be covered up.  I saved a few for the outside.


I decided this one called for some pretty flowers... so I used the 4 Petals Fri-Dies to cut some flowers and the Garden Fri-Dies to cut some leaves from white Copic friendly paper and then colored them in with the same markers I used for the background.  I layered the flowers together along with some leaves and then added a few sequins to the center.


I added a few more sequins to the outside of the shaker and this one was done!  I'm playing along with the Doodles Paper Playground #ShowMeYourShaker Contest on Instagram!  You can find info regarding the contest on the blog here!  I'm also playing along over at Mod Squad Challenges to use a Brand Name Clear or Rubber Stamp-No Digis... I've used all CAS-ual Fridays stamps here!  

I hope you enjoyed your visit today and hope I've shown you a fun new way to use your Copic markers!  Or if not new, maybe just a reminder that you can use them for more than just coloring images.

Should you decide to shop, I have this for you:


For more Cas-ual Fridays Inspiration, check out these places:


8 comments:

Lagene said...

What pretty backgrounds! I especially love the shaker card!

Scrapper69 said...

So pretty! I love the color combination! Thanks for sharing how you created it! I don't have copic markers but I'm sure it'll work with the markers I do have. Have a great day!

Theresa

KT Fit Kitty said...

These are gorgeous, Lisa! Great technique - thanks for sharing! Love the colors you chose!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

These are AMAZING!! I am IN LOVE with those backgrounds you made!! GORGEOUS!!!!!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful shaker card and colors and thanks for sharing how you made the background.

MiamiKel said...

OH Lisa, first let me say sincere thanks for finding and following my blog! I am grateful for that and excited to make a new blogging friend! I've followed you as well!
Now your cards - WOW!! This is a burst of creativity and color and just a vision- I love the sparkly shaker card with a sweet sentiment that we all could use as a cheerleading saying! The background is so lovely with the stripes and cool color palette ~ love the card designs, too. Fabulous blog post! Hugs!

Tracey said...

Now I think these gorgeous cards and that pretty background has inspired me to dust off my copics and see if I could make a background like yours. Fabulous idea!

mamamacmurtrymakesthings said...

These backgrounds are gorgeous! I've never seen this technique before, but I'm definitely going to have to try it! I love both these cards, but your shaker is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for entering our showmeyourshaker event!