Friday, August 5, 2016

The Cutting Cafe Christmas in August


Merry Christmas in August!  So... I celebrated Thanksgiving in July... Christmas in August seems about right!  Here's what I made for you:


For my projects, I used the most awesome Christmas Bulb Greetings file.  This is a set of wonderful files to make many different bulb ornament shaker cards or ornaments:


And I plan on making many more of these!  And if you check out Mitra's post, she uses some of the Christmas shaker files in her post as well and used glitter in her shaker only to keep it thinner for mailing.  Check it out here!


First I made one of the cards.  I did some embossing both dry and heat.  For the blue ornament base, I dry embossed after putting versamark on the folder and then embossed with some yummy glitter snow embossing powder.  I must say... I love it!


I decorated this one with some paper flowers from my LSS, a leaf cut I had laying around, a Petaloo feather and for the ribbon I chose a thin mesh sparkly ribbon so it wouldn't hide too much of the shaker.


I mixed a bunch of sequins together... some blues with lots of white ones... oh and I also dry embossed the Peace layer... love that too!


And here it is shaken up a bit... and while I was working on this my thoughts turned to my 12x12 acorn canvas last month and decided this shaker would also look very good on a canvas so.....


I made a small one this time... maybe 6x5... I started by modge podging some blue sparkly tissue paper onto the canvas that one of my orders came in.  When that was dry, I used a doily stencil and some clear embossing paste, but when it dried what I thought would be awesome barely showed up... so I dry brushed some white acrylic paint over the embossing paste and then it was awesome again!    So I didn't want to cover up all of that work but I had too right?  WRONG!!!!

I'm playing along with the Creative Artiste Challenge Blog's Mixed Media Challenge #17, Anything Goes.  It's the first time I've played along with this one, but it's all about using Mixed Mediums so I think I'll be playing along with this one again!   And I'm also playing along with the Winter Wonderland Challenge Gold/Silver and/or Embossed Background... I have both!  You should check both of these out!


The answer was to use clear cardstock as the base of my shaker as well as the top!  And again I embossed the Peace and added a little bit of distress stickles to feel like fallen snow.


It was fun to add this cute little silver bell too... and did you notice the extra snowflakes I cut?  I just duplicated them in Design space and made them bigger.


And you can barely see it in these pics... or at all... but I did dry emboss the clear cardstock on both the bottom and the top with some snowflakes... it looks pretty cool.  I'll see if I can get a better pic of it.

So thanks for stopping by and don't forget to check out the Cutting Cafe Blog tomorrow, August 7th and you'll find links to all of the awesome Design Team projects!

Come back again soon!

23 comments:

Lizzy Hill said...

These are all so lovely. You do amazingly detailed work....love the dry brushing idea to show up the designs & the shaker 'innards' all look fabulous:):) Go you, getting Chrissy-sorted!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwww! These are GORGEOUS! LOVING the colors, the textures and the flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cards By MI said...

Lovely looking cards. Smashing look to them both. Love the colours and de embossing. Thanks for joining us over at the Winter Wonderland.
Love n hugs
Marie

Scrapper69 said...

Those shakers turned out soooo PRETTY! LOVE them!!!

Theresa
Theresa’s Crafty Creations

Regina Easter said...

bow to the queen.....love these....smooches

Andree said...

A beautiful shaker canvas and such a magical idea. All the textures and details are gorgeous and I especially love the colour.
Thank you for joining in with the August challenge "Anything Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media and good luck x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, Lisa! Your card and mixed media canvas are gorgeous! You know I love shakers! Amazing job on the canvas - I wouldn't even know where to start!

Tracey said...

Where do you find the time to create all these amazing creations? I have some catching up to do!! Shaker canvas...such an original idea, so pretty Lisa, gorgeous colours too!

Christine Harrop said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing your lovely cards with us at Winter Wonderland. Good luck and we would love to see you again. Christine DT x

Diane Jaquay said...

Wow, gorgeous shakers, the details on these are amazing!!

Lori said...

Oh, you did make another gorgeous canvas! Love the shaker ornament and the beautiful background!

Krista's Paper Cafe said...

Nice take on the ornament shakers I like the word on the outside.

Wheelie Crafty said...

Hi Lisa, I love what you have created,its very mixed media... Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

Becca Cruger said...

Soooooo sparkly and shimmery and oooooooooo! I wish I could be as good at shakers as you are!

Leigh Penner said...

Beautiful!

Helen Gullett said...

Lisa, your cards are stunning, beautiful and elegant. All the embellishments on this shaker cards are amazing and love the frosty look on them :)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous shakers!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous shakers!

My Scrap Pages and Cards said...

Love love your creations, so pretty and festive
thanks for joining our challenge over at
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
Debbie Dt

Marlene Atkinson said...

Gorgeous shaker card. Thank you for sharing with us at Winter Wonderland Challenge. Marlene DT

Marlene Atkinson said...

Gorgeous shaker card. Thank you for sharing with us at Winter Wonderland Challenge. Marlene DT

junemac2 said...

what an absolutely beautiful card.

LOU said...

Wow, these are fantastic shake cards Lisa.
Thanks for joining us at Winter Wonderland.
Lou DT xo