Saturday, January 12, 2019

Alcohol Inks and Foil-Not Just For Backgrounds

I'm up on the CAS-ual Fridays Blog today and sharing a card I made using some alcohol inks and foils!  Sometimes I find it hard to work with alcohol ink backgrounds because they are SO bold... I make them.. and I love them.. and they are beautiful... but I have a hard time using them as backgrounds.  But I LOVE to make them and use them with dies even more!  And add a little bit of some foil from my scrap leftovers... even better!

I started this one with some Yupo paper and just plopped some alcohol inks all over it.  I then added some Blending Solution in a few spots as well...

Next I used my Alcohol Ink Felt Applicator and kind of smooshed and twisted the colors together to get a nice colorful base.

Then I knew I wanted to add some gold foil but to do that you need some tacky/sticky spots.  So I plopped a few more dots of pink around and let it pool.  Since I'm using this piece for die cuts... it doesn't have to be "beautiful".. just be sure if you are adding foil you have some pooled areas to stick to.

I let it dry just a bit to tacky... how long that takes will depend on how much ink you added, but it's a little bit of trial and error.  I took my scraps of foil (of course I keep them!) and you place them backside down (same side you use when heat heat foiling or foiling with adhesive) and pressed down firmly.. pulled it up and voila!  Shout out to my awesome friend Jean Chaney for teaching me all about this! I did the same with some greens:

Aren't they pretty??  And yes, I felt I needed a few different colors than what I had in my alcohol inks stash, so I added in a few drops of my Copic Re-inkers and that worked just fine!  Also, warning, I didn't wait for my pieces to dry completely and I did get some transfer of inks onto my dies when I cut them out and also on my Big Shot plate... but I don't mind and probably if you made these and waited a bit longer you won't have that problem. I do have a plate that I use for messy projects and I was smart enough to use!

I used the Garden Fri-Dies to cut some flowers and some leaves.  I love the contrast of these bright alcohol inked die cuts against the white paper!  And those little specks of gold.. even better!

With the gold flecks in the flowers I decided to cut my Best Day Ever sentiment from some Foil Cardstock that I had in my stash.  I cut it once from the foiled paper and twice from white cardstock and stacked them together for dimension.  And the Bubble Box Fri-Dies make such a pretty backdrop along with that Tim Holz Woodgrain embossing folder.

Love to make some of these "backgrounds" to have on hand for just such an occasion.  But it's also quick and easy to make for one project.

That's me for today!  

Don't forget you can still get some great deals on some beautiful retiring sets here!

Thanks for stopping and come back soon!


Scrapper69 said...

Beautiful job sweet friend! I was messing with foiling last night... I got a laser printer for Christmas and trying to learn how to use it with foiling! Wish me luck! :)


jeanchaneyaz said...

Now, what a great idea for using up all those alcohol ink prints, Lisa! It certainly made for some extra beautiful flowers!