Friday, September 4, 2020

Birthday Hugs & Kisses - Miss Ink Stamps


Welcome back!  It's a new month and for September I'll be focusing on using Ranger Distress Embossing Glazes in various ways!

For today I used them along with the Gardenia, Everyday Sentiments, and Punny Farm Pigs stamp sets and one of the awesome Diamond Fade Stencils.

If you're like me, you're wondering how these are different from any other embossing powder.  What I can tell you so far is they are made to be translucent (yes, there are others that are but this line is all translucent) which is very cool because you can use the glaze over images like I did here and it will show through.  Also, the colors are in your favorite Distress Ink colors which is awesome, but if you apply them over other colors you'll get many different looks.  All of this is important to know before you use them to be sure you get the look you want!  If you like videos (and even if you don't) I'd recommend you watch this one here of Tim's demo at Creativation.  I'm not a video watcher, but it was great to see the different ways he uses them.  I'll be playing all month and share with you what I discover! 


For this one I started by using Speckled Egg and Broken China Distress Oxide Ink to blend the background panel cut from Strathmore Mixed Media Paper.  (When I remember to, I like to start with this paper if I'm going to be using a bunch of different medium to avoid too much curling.)  


Then I stamped the florals from Gardenia using my Misti in the corners using Ranger Archival Ink.  Next, I used a water brush to lift some of the color from the flowers and leaves and then used the same brush along with some Distress Oxide Inks in Milled Lavender and Bundled Sage along with a tiny bit of Fossilized Amber to lightly and loosely watercolor the floral images.


After the florals were dry, I applied some Broken China and Milled Lavender first and then clear embossing paste over that through the Diamond Fade Stencil and then used my fingers to sprinkle on some Broken China and just a little Weathered Wood (why not!?) Embossing Glazes and heated them up.  These do dry shiny and you can dull them if you prefer with Steel Wool (Tim suggests this in the video rather than sandpaper because it will just lightly buff off the shine).  I decided to add a little Wilted Violet over the top which did dull it a little which I'm sure I could have wiped off, but decided I liked it just the way it was!  See how the floral image lines and colors show through underneath the embossed areas?  I did leave some areas with little or no powder because I wanted to leave some areas embossed but really clear... and that's how I roll!


My initial plan was just to add a simple sentiment over the top, but I decided to instead add a few of the smaller birthday images from the Punny Farms Pig set!  I colored them with Copics in colors Complimentary to the inks I used.. some Vs and some BGs and then built my sentiment from the Everyday Sentiments stamp set!

Just a few sequins (of course!) and I was done!

I'm playing along over at Double Trouble Challenge's Something, Anything and Everything Challenge that goes through Sunday the 6th!  Check it out!  There are prizes!!

I had a lot of fun playing with this one and I can't wait to play again!  Thanks for stopping and be sure to come again soon!




8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love this! LOVING those flowers!

María said...

Awesome background, I love the effect those embossing glazes have created. The colour combination is beautiful. María, hugs.

Melanie R said...

Beautiful card, Lisa, I love the shimmer! Your choice of colors is wonderful, too. We're so glad you joined us at Double Trouble #65.

Melanie Hungerford said...

Love those embossing glazes, especially with the colors you used. Beautiful card, thank you for joining the Double Trouble Challenge!
Melanie

Lagene said...

Beautiful!!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful birthday card and wonderful colors.

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Wow, you sure did a lot of playing around, and the names of the colors and combination you used are fantastic. Looking forward to other experiences you have with these glazes... you are just so creative. And, if it wasn't enough for a simple sentiment, love it. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble.

Alyson Mayo said...

This is so pretty and filled with different techniques! I love the texture and all the little details. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble :)